[openstack-dev] [tripleo] storyboard evaluation

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Wed Jan 17 10:51:52 UTC 2018

Emilien Macchi wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 8:29 AM, Jeremy Stanley <fungi at yuggoth.org> wrote:
>>> - how do we deal milestones in stories and also how can we have a
>>> dashboard with an overview per milestone (useful for PTL + TripleO
>>> release managers).
>>
>> So far, the general suggestion for stuff like this is to settle on a
>> consistent set of story tags to apply. It really depends on whether
>> you're trying to track this at a story or task level (there is no
>> per-task tagging implemented yet at any rate). I could imagine, for
>> example, setting something like tripleo-r2 as a tag on stories whose
>> TripleO deliverable tasks are targeting Rocky milestone #2, and then
>> you could have an automatic board with stories matching that tag and
>> lanes based on the story status.
>
> Does this kind of board exist already?

Rather than using tags, you can make a Board itself your "milestone
view". To make a task/story part of the milestone objectives, you just
add it to your board. Then use various lanes on that board to track
progress.

See the "Zuul v3 Operational" board in
https://storyboard-blog.sotk.co.uk/things-that-storyboard-does-differently.html
for an example -- I think it's pretty close to what you need.

I /think/ if you used a tag you'd miss a feature: the ability to specify
a board lane as needing to automatically contain "all things that match
a given criteria (like a tag match) but which would not already appear
in one of the other lanes on this board". *And* allow to move things
from that automatic lane to the other lanes. That way you can have a
board that automatically contains all the things that match your tag (by
default in the automatic lane), but still lets you move things around
onto various lanes.

I don't think that exists, which is why I'd use a Board directly as a
"milestone tracker", rather than go through tagging.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)