[openstack-dev] ping between 2 instances using an ovs in the middle

David Gabriel davidgab283 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 16:28:06 UTC 2018

Dears,

I am writing you this email to look for your help in order to fix a
problem, I am facing since a while, related to creating two ubuntu
instances in Openstack (Fuel 9.2 for Mitaka) and setting an ovs bridge in
each VM.
Here is the problem description:
I have defined two instances called VM1 and VM2 and ovs bridge, each one of
them is deployed in one Virtual Machine (VM) based on this simple topology:
*VM1* ---LAN1----*OVS*---LAN2--- *VM2*

I used the following commands, taken from some tutorial, for OVS:

ovs-vsctl add-br mybridge1
ifconfig mybridge1 up
ovs-vsctl add-port eth1 mybridge1
ifconfig eth1 0
ovs-vsctl add-port eth1 mybridge1 ovs-vsctl set-controller mybridge
tcp:AddressOfController:6633

Then I tried to make the ping between the two VMs but it fails !
Could you please tell/guide me how to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards.