[openstack-dev] [tc] Technical Committee Status update, January 12th

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Jan 12 09:53:14 UTC 2018

Hi!

This is the weekly summary of Technical Committee initiatives. You can
find the full list of all open topics (updated twice a week) at:

https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Technical_Committee_Tracker

If you are working on something (or plan to work on something)
governance-related that is not reflected on the tracker yet, please feel
free to add to it !

== Recently-approved changes ==

* Upgrade assertion tags only apply to services [1][2]
* Retired repo: ceilometerclient
* New repo: charm-interface-designate
* Goal updates: magnum, manila

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/528745/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/531395/

Only significant change beyond repository housekeeping and goal
completion updates this week is the merging of the new wording to limit
upgrade assertion tags to OpenStack "services". This is now reflected in
the corresponding tags:

*
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/tags/assert_supports-upgrade.html
*
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/tags/assert_supports-accessible-upgrade.html
*
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/tags/assert_supports-rolling-upgrade.html
*
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/tags/assert_supports-zero-downtime-upgrade.html

== Rocky goals ==

Goal proposal season is in full swing in preparation for the start of
the Rocky cycle. Two new goals have already been proposed:

* Remove mox: https://review.openstack.org/532361
* Ensure pagination links: https://review.openstack.org/532627

Emilien started a new thread detailing other candidates:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-January/126090.html

There are good candidates there, but we need someone willing to champion
them before we can consider them for approval.

== Under discussion ==

The discussion started by Graham Hayes to clarify how the testing of
interoperability programs should be organized in the age of add-on
trademark programs is still going on. The TC is interested in more input
from the Interop WG and the QA team, to select an option that would work
for both those groups. Colleen posted a write-up that is a great
introduction to the topic if you're interested in chiming in:

https://review.openstack.org/521602
http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-January/126146.html

Matt Treinish proposed an update to the Python PTI for tests to be
specific and explicit. Wider community input is still needed on that
topic. Please review at:

https://review.openstack.org/519751

== TC member actions for the coming week(s) ==

Looking for a volunteer to drive the proposal to update to the Python
PTI for tests to be specific and explicit to some closure. This likely
involves posting a new thread on the ML to gather wider community input
on the topic.

We'd also like to get to a set of proposed goals to choose from, as the
Rocky cycle will start with master branching a couple of weeks from now.

Finally, we should be thinking about topics that would make good
post-lunch presentations at the PTG in Dublin:

http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-January/126102.html

== Office hours ==

To be more inclusive of all timezones and more mindful of people for
which English is not the primary language, the Technical Committee
dropped its dependency on weekly meetings. So that you can still get
hold of TC members on IRC, we instituted a series of office hours on
#openstack-tc:

* 09:00 UTC on Tuesdays
* 01:00 UTC on Wednesdays
* 15:00 UTC on Thursdays

For the coming week, I expect continued discussions on the stuck
changes, as well as Rocky goals.

Cheers,

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)