[openstack-dev] [qa] [tc] Need champion for "cold upgrades capabilities" goal

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Fri Jan 12 05:29:31 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 7:13 PM, Masayuki Igawa
<masayuki.igawa at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Emilien,
>
> I'd love to take this role!

Wow, this is AWESOME.

> I have some tempest experience but not QA work which you mentioned
> (devstack, grenade, zuul layout) that much. However, I think it will
> be a very good opportunity to step-up.
>
> So, for me, the next step might be to know grenade / upgrade jobs /
> plugin mechanizm deeply. And I suppose we need some documentation
> about "how to support upgrade" based on the requirements for the other
> projects (and me :).
>
> Any suggestion and/or comments are welcome!

OK so the steps are documented here:
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/tags/assert_supports-upgrade.html#requirements

So first of all, it only affects projects that are "services" (e.g. Tacker).
The main requirement is to have grenade scripts in-tree for the
projects which miss the tag now.
Look at Ironic which already has the tag:
https://github.com/openstack/ironic/tree/master/devstack/upgrade

At the same time, we need to change the zuul layout for the projects
which don't have the tag yet.
Still example with Ironic:
https://github.com/openstack/ironic/blob/master/zuul.d/project.yaml#L6-L7

Once a project has a grenade job (voting) that runs Grenade with the
specs described here:
https://governance.openstack.org/tc/reference/tags/assert_supports-upgrade.html#requirements
- the project can apply to the tag and the goal is complete once the
tag is approved.

I think the first step is to make sure each project which doesn't have
the tag has to understand what the tag means, in term of requirements.

If they say:

"Yeah, our project can already do that" (because they did some manual
testing etc): then the work is purely grenade/zuul-layout.

"No, we don't support upgrades at all": then the goal might take one
or two cycles, depending on the amount of work.

This is the list of service projects that don't have the tag yet:
aodh
blazar
cloudkitty
congress
dragonflow
ec2api
freezer
karbor
kuryr
masakari
mistral
monasca
murano
octavia
panko
searchlight
senlin
tacker
trove
vitrage
watcher
zaqar
zun

(I might have miss some, please fix it).

That's it for now, I hope it helped, please let us know if more questions.
Thanks again for stepping up and you have all our support at any time.

[...]
--
Emilien Macchi