[openstack-dev] [vitrage] rules in vitrage_aggregated_state()

Afek, Ifat (Nokia - IL/Kfar Sava) ifat.afek at nokia.com
Thu Jan 11 09:13:09 UTC 2018

From: "Yujun Zhang (ZTE)" <zhangyujun+zte at gmail.com>
Date: Thursday, 11 January 2018 at 10:52

I have almost understood it thanks to your explanation.

[Ifat] I liked the “almost” ;-)

The confusion is mainly caused by the naming. I guess the main reason is that the scope evolves but the naming is not updated with it.

For example
1.      `vitrage_aggregated_state` actually applies for both resource state and alarm severity as defined in `value_properties`. So `vitrage_aggregated_values` could be a better name.
[Ifat] For alarms we use ‘vitrage_aggregated_severity’
2.      For data source in static configuration, we may use `static.yaml` as a fallback. The name `default.yaml` will mislead user that it should be applied to data source configured in "types" but without a values configuration.
[Ifat] We should decide whether we want the default values to apply also to “real” datasources. I think the risk is that people who write a new datasource will forget to add the values yaml file, and will believe that everything works fine with the default. Then, upon a specific failure (that doesn’t happen often) they will get UNDEFINED status. On the other hand, if they always get UNDEFINED, they will remember to add the correct yaml file.
3.      The UNDEFINED value is named UNDEFINED_DATASOURCE = "undefined datasource", it is not a consistent type of severity and state enumeration.
[Ifat] I didn’t understand this comment.
4.      The behavior for data source defined in static without values configuration and data source defined in "types" without values configuration are inconsistent. The former will fallback to `default.yaml` but the latter will lead to undefined value.
[Ifat] See my answer to #2.
I know it is there for historical reasons and current developers may already get used to it, but it gives new contributors too many surprises.

What do you think? Shall we amend them?