[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] nova support for volume multiattach

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 00:13:33 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

I wanted to point out that the nova API patch for volume mulitattach
support is available for review:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/271047/

It's actually a series of changes, but that is the last one that enables
the feature in nova. It relies on the 2.59 compute API microversion to
be able to create a server from a mulitattach volume or to attach a
mulitattach volume to a server.

We do not allow attaching a mulitattach volume to a shelved offloaded
server, to be consistent with the 2.49 microversion for tagged attach.

When creating a server from a mulitattach volume, the compute API will
check to see that all nova-compute services in the deployment have been
upgraded to the service version that supports the mulitattach code in
the libvirt driver.

Similarly, when attaching a mulitattach volume to an existing server
instance, the compute API will check that the compute hosting the
instance is new enough to support mulitattach volumes (has been
upgraded) and it's using a virt driver that supports the capability
(currently only the libvirt driver).

There are more details in the release note but I wanted to point out
those restrictions.

There is also a set of tempest integration tests here:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/266605/

Those will be tested in the nova-multiattach CI job:

https://review.openstack.org/#/c/532689/

Due to restrictions with libvirt, mulitattach support is only available
if qemu<2.10 or libvirt>=3.10. The test environment takes this into
account for upstream testing.

Nova will rely on Cinder microversion >=3.44, which was added in Queens,
for safe detach of a mulitattach volume.

There is a design spec for Cinder which describes how volume mulitattach
will be supported in Cinder and how operators will be able to configure
volume types and Cinder policy rules for mulitattach support:

https://specs.openstack.org/openstack/cinder-specs/specs/queens/enable-multiattach.html

Several people from various companies have been pushing this hard in the
Queens release and we're two weeks away from feature freeze. I'm on
vacation next week also, but I have a feeling that this will get done
finally in Queens.

Matt