[openstack-dev] [designate] state of pdns4 backend

Graham Hayes gr at ham.ie
Wed Jan 10 19:10:30 UTC 2018

Hi Ritesh, see in line:

On 08/01/18 23:02, Ritesh Anand wrote:
> Hi Stackers,
>
> I see that we moved from PowerDNS Backend to PDNS4 backend, I have a few
> questions in that regard:
>
> 1. Should powerdns 3.4 (with PowerDNS backend) continue to work fine on
> Pike OpenStack?

Yes - as long as powerdns 3.x does not change the DB schema, it should
work fine.

> 2. Why did we change the default backend to BIND9?

There is a mix of pdns packages available across distros - e.g. trusty
had 3.x and xenial had 4.x

The only common backend was bind9 - so we swapped the devstack default
to bind9.

> 3. How feasible is moving from one backend to other? Say if we move from
> PowerDNS to BIND9 backend, if I generate BIND zone files from PowerDNS
> mysql backed, and make necessary designate config changes, is that
> sufficient?

Moving from one to another is not that simple unfortunately. We
currently do not have a way, other than adding a new target with the
new driver type, forcing things to sync on to it (may require some
additional tooling right now), and removing the old target.

> Thanks again for your help!

Any other questions, please ask, here or in #openstack-dns :)

Thanks,

Graham