[openstack-dev] [ResMgmt SIG]Proposal to form Resource Management SIG

Zhipeng Huang zhipengh512 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 00:41:45 UTC 2018

Hi Eric,

Glad to count you in :)

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 4:57 AM, Eric Fried <openstack at fried.cc> wrote:

> > I think having a bi-weekly cross-project (or even cross-ecosystem if
> > we're talking about OpenStack+k8s) status email reporting any big events
> > in the resource tracking world would be useful. As far as regular
> > meetings for a resource management SIG, I'm +0 on that. I prefer to have
> > targeted topical meetings over regular meetings.
>
> Agree with this.  That said, please include me (efried) in whatever
> shakes out.
>
> On 01/08/2018 02:12 PM, Jay Pipes wrote:
> > On 01/08/2018 12:26 PM, Zhipeng Huang wrote:
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> With the maturing of resource provider/placement feature landing in
> >> OpenStack in recent release, and also in light of Kubernetes community
> >> increasing attention to the similar effort, I want to propose to form
> >> a Resource Management SIG as a contact point for OpenStack community
> >> to communicate with Kubernetes Resource Management WG[0] and other
> >> related SIGs.
> >>
> >> The formation of the SIG is to provide a gathering of similar
> >> interested parties and establish an official channel. Currently we
> >> have already OpenStack developers actively participating in kubernetes
> >> discussion (e.g. [1]), we would hope the ResMgmt SIG could further
> >> help such activities and better align the resource mgmt mechanism,
> >> especially the data modeling between the two communities (or even more
> >> communities with similar desire).
> >>
> >> I have floated the idea with Jay Pipes and Chris Dent and received
> >> positive feedback. The SIG will have a co-lead structure so that
> >> people could spearheading in the area they are most interested in. For
> >> example for me as Cyborg dev, I will mostly lead in the area of
> >> acceleration[2].
> >>
> >> If you are also interested please reply to this thread, and let's find
> >> a efficient way to form this SIG. Efficient means no extra unnecessary
> >> meetings and other undue burdens.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > From the Nova perspective, the scheduler meeting (which is Mondays at
> > 1400 UTC) is the primary meeting where resource tracking and accounting
> > issues are typically discussed.
> >
> > Chris Dent has done a fabulous job recording progress on the resource
> > providers and placement work over the last couple releases by issuing
> > status emails to the openstack-dev@ mailing list each Friday.
> >
> > I think having a bi-weekly cross-project (or even cross-ecosystem if
> > we're talking about OpenStack+k8s) status email reporting any big events
> > in the resource tracking world would be useful. As far as regular
> > meetings for a resource management SIG, I'm +0 on that. I prefer to have
> > targeted topical meetings over regular meetings.
> >
> > Best,
> > -jay

Zhipeng (Howard) Huang

Standard Engineer
IT Standard & Patent/IT Product Line
Huawei Technologies Co,. Ltd
Email: huangzhipeng at huawei.com
Office: Huawei Industrial Base, Longgang, Shenzhen

(Previous)
Research Assistant
Mobile Ad-Hoc Network Lab, Calit2
University of California, Irvine
Email: zhipengh at uci.edu
Office: Calit2 Building Room 2402

OpenStack, OPNFV, OpenDaylight, OpenCompute Aficionado