[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] resource providers update 18-01

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri Jan 5 15:29:30 UTC 2018

First resource provider and placement update for 2018. This year
I'll be labelling the report with %y-%W to distinguish from last
year, so this is 18-01.

The engine of activity is still warming up for the new year, so much
of this is pre-existing stuff.

# Most Important

Matt posted a message with some words about getting to the end of
Queens smoothly. In general, getting to the end of Queens smoothly is
what's most important. The message:

     http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-January/125953.html

In there are some bits related to placement and resource providers but
he also identified some gaps related to understanding what's up with
nested resource providers. Eric provided a response with some of that
info:

     http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-January/125977.html

Related to that, there's some open discussion on a review about
whether or not the ProviderTree system (mentioned in Eric's mail) is
going to track shared providers. See:

     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/526539/

# What's Changed

The / of placement no longer requires auth (which helps support
automated version discovery). Placement JSON schemas are now in their
own directory rather than in the handler files. The report client now
uses POST /allocations to set and or clear allocations for multiple
consumer uuids in one request (meaning we no longer need the migration
allocations theme, below).

'limit' on /allocation_candidates has been approved and should merge
today. We should probably have the discussion on if/how to use it
from nova-scheduler. I'll put it on the agenda for the next scheduler
meeting.

# Main Themes

## Nested Providers

Mentioned above, the nested-resource-providers stack has grown a long
tail of changes for managing nested providers rooted on a compute
node:

       https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/nested-resource-providers

## Alternate Hosts

Having the scheduler request and use alternate hosts is real close:

     https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/return-alternate-hosts

but has hit a snag with resizes and some stuff with the
CachingScheduler, such as

     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/531211/

Alternate hosts is something we want to bring to resolution as soon as
possible so it gets as much exposure as possible.

## Misc Traits, Shared, Etc Cleanups

There's a stack of code that fixes up a lot of things related to
traits, sharing providers, test additions and fixes to those tests. At
the moment the changes are in a bug topic:

        https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1702420

# Other

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/519462/
      Log options at debug when starting API services under wsgi
      (Make any sense to split this into placement and nova versions? One
      seems easier than the other)

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/I0c4ca6a81f213277fe7219cb905a805712f81e36
      Proper error handling by _ensure_resource_provider
      (This is already approved for master, but there are backports.)

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/placement-osc-plugin
       Build the placement osc plugin

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/request-traits-in-nova
       request traits in nova

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/513041/
       Extract instance allocation removal code

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/493865/
       cover migration cases with functional tests

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/527541/
   Add nova-status check for ironic flavor migration

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/add-support-for-vgpu
       Add support for VGPU

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:placement_schema_separation
       Put the json schema in their own directory (one left)

* https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1734625
   global request id passed from nova to placement in requests (makes
   logging life much easier)

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/529998/
   Move body examples to an isolated directory

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/524506/
   Add functional tests for resource class API

* https://review.openstack.org/#/c/524094/
   Add functional tests for traits API

# End

There's probably more but as I'm not fully up to review speed, I've
not seen everything yet. Next week will likely be more complete.
Between now and then there will probably also be some conversations on
priorities and the state of things such that we can picking what's
going to fall off the radar as we race to the end of Queens.

--
Chris Dent                      (⊙_⊙')         https://anticdent.org/