[openstack-dev] [TripleO][CI] Which network templates to use in CI (with and without net isolation)?

James Slagle james.slagle at gmail.com
Thu Jan 4 22:39:15 UTC 2018

On Thu, Jan 4, 2018 at 5:26 PM, Sagi Shnaidman <sshnaidm at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi, all
>
> we have now network templates in tripleo-ci repo[1] and we'd like to move
> them to tht repo[2] and to use them from there.

They've already been moved from tripleo-ci to tripleo-heat-templates:
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/476708/

> We have also default
> templates defined in overcloud-deploy role[3].
> So the question is - which templates should we use and how to configure
> them?

We should use the ones for ci, not the examples under
tripleo-heat-templates/network/config. Those examples (especially for
multiple-nics) are meant to be clear and orderly so that users can
easily understand how to adapt them to their own environments.
Especially for multiple-nics, there isn't really a sane default, and I
don't think we should make our examples match what we use in ci.

It may be possible to update ovb so that it deploys virt environments
such that the examples work. That feels like a lot of unecessary churn
though. But even then ci is using mtu:1350, which we don't want in the
examples.

> One option for configuration is set network args (incl. isolation) in
> overcloud-deploy role[3] depending on other features (like docker, ipv6,
> etc).
> The other is to set them in featureset[4] files for each job.
> The question is also which network templates we want to gate in CI and
> should it be the same we have by default in tripleo-quickstart-extras?
>
> We have a few patches from James (@slagle) to address this topic[5]

What I'm trying to do in these patches is just use the templates and
environments from tripleo-heat-templates that were copied from
tripleo-ci in 476708. I gathered that was the intent since they were
copied into tripleo-heat-templates. Otherwise, why do we need them
there are at all?

--
-- James Slagle