[openstack-dev] Xen API dom0 plugin code in os-xenapi doesn't have Python 3 support

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Mon Feb 26 00:05:26 UTC 2018

Hi,

I hope this reaches Bob Ball, I'm bringing the patch review conversation
here, because I don't think Gerrit is a good enough medium.

For a bit of context, I've opened this patch review:
https://review.openstack.org/544809

which fixes Python 3 support within os_xenapi/dom0/etc/xapi.d/plugins.

It feels like this piece of code is:

- out of place
- not Python 3 compliant
- annoying downstream distributions
- never used in OpenStack.

Bob, yes, I can remove the code in the Debian package, that's not hard
to do so, it's just annoying. But why would you add such a burden on all
and every downstream distribution? Wouldn't there be a better place to
put the CentOS Python code? Couldn't we get an RPM package to install on
all XenAPI servers before they join the OpenStack cluster?

To me, there's 2 alternatives:
1/ Accept this patch, so that at least the code builds/installs in
downstream distributions

2/ Remove the code completely from os-xenapi

I'd prefer the later, but I don't mind much. Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)