[openstack-dev] [infra][all] New Zuul Depends-On syntax

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Mon Feb 19 03:25:07 UTC 2018

I just realized that the new syntax doesn't work when third party jobs use
an old version of Zuul (e.g. RDO RCI).

Which means:
Depends-On: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/542556/
doesn't work

and
Depends-On: Ia30965b362d1c05d216f59b4cc1b3cb7e1284046
works for third party jobs.

We have to be very careful how we use the feature in TripleO CI. I've lost
a bit of time trying to figuring out why my code wasn't passing our
functional tests when I realized my code wasn't properly checkout.

My recommendation for TripleO devs: use the old syntax if you want your
code to be tested by RDO Third party CI (now voting btw).

Thanks,

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 1:11 PM, Alex Schultz <aschultz at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 1, 2018 at 11:55 AM, James E. Blair <corvus at inaugust.com>
> wrote:
> > Zane Bitter <zbitter at redhat.com> writes:
> >
> >> Yeah, it's definitely nice to have that flexibility. e.g. here is a
> >> patch that wouldn't merge for 3 months because the thing it was
> >> dependent on also got proposed as a backport:
> >>
> >> https://review.openstack.org/#/c/514761/1
> >>
> >> From an OpenStack perspective, it would be nice if a Gerrit ID implied
> >> a change from the same Gerrit instance as the current repo and the
> >> same branch as the current patch if it exists (otherwise any branch),
> >> and we could optionally use a URL instead to select a particular
> >> change.
> >
> > Yeah, that's reasonable, and it is similar to things Zuul does in other
> > areas, but I think one of the thing we want to do with Depends-On is
> > consider that Zuul isn't the only audience.  It's there just as much for
> > the reviewers, and other folks.  So when it comes to Gerrit change ids,
> > I feel we had to constrain it to Gerrit's own behavior.  When you click
> > on one of those in Gerrit, it shows you all of the changes across all of
> > the repos and branches with that change-id.  So that result list is what
> > Zuul should work with.  Otherwise there's a discontinuity between what a
> > user sees when they click the hyperlink under the change-id and what
> > Zuul does.
> >
> > Similarly, in the new system, you click the URL and you see what Zuul is
> > going to use.
> >
> > And that leads into the reason we want to drop the old syntax: to make
> > it seamless for a GitHub user to know how to Depends-On a Gerrit change,
> > and vice versa, with neither requiring domain-specific knowledge about
> > the system.
> >

> While I can appreciate that, having to manage urls for backports in
> commit messages will lead to missing patches and other PEBAC related
> problems. Perhaps rather than throwing out this functionality we can
> push for improvements in the gerrit interaction itself?  I'm really -1
> on removing the change-id syntax just for this reasoning. The UX of
> having to manage complex depends-on urls for things like backports
> makes switching to URLs a non-starter unless I have a bunch of
> external system deps (and I generally don't).
>
> Thanks,
> -Alex
>
> > -Jim

Emilien Macchi