[openstack-dev] [docs] About the convention to use '.' instead of 'source'.

Hongbin Lu hongbin034 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 17 18:47:02 UTC 2018

Hi all,

We have contributors submit patches [1] about switching over from 'source'
to  '.'. Frankly, it is a bit confused for reviewers to review those
patches since it is unclear what are the rationals of the change. By
tracing down to the patch [2] that introduced this convention,
unfortunately, it doesn't help since there is not too much information in
the commit message. Moreover, this convention doesn't seem to be followed
very well in the community. I saw devstack is still using 'source' instead
of '.' [3], which contradicts to what the docs said [4].

If anyone can clarify the rationals of this convention, it will be really
helpful.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/543155/
[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/304545/3
[3] https://github.com/openstack-dev/devstack/blob/master/stack.sh#L592