[openstack-dev] [horizon][plugins] Supported Django versions for Horizon in Rocky

Ivan Kolodyazhny e0ne at e0ne.info
Thu Feb 15 14:33:00 UTC 2018

Hi team,

As was discussed at the weekly meeting on December, 20th, Horizon team is
going to bump minimum Django version to the next LTS release which is 1.11.
Django 1.8 will be supported at least until April 2018 [2].

In Rocky release, we agreed to support Django 1.11 and Django 2.x as
experimental [3]. We're going to drop Django <= 1.10 support early in Rocky
[4] to get plugins maintainers more time to adapt their project to the
latest supported Django.

Unfortunately, we can't support both Django 1.8 and 2.0 because of Django's
deprecations and removals. so we need to bump minimum version.

Debian will switch the default Django version to 2.x soon. Although Django
2.0 is not LTS, it seems worth considering support of Django 2.0.

We'll have continuation of this conversation at PTG [5]/

[1]
http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/horizon/2017/horizon.2017-12-20-20.00.log.html#l-39
[2] https://www.djangoproject.com/download/
[3] https://blueprints.launchpad.net/horizon/+spec/django2-support