[openstack-dev] [infra] [all] project pipeline definition should stay in project-config or project side ?

Andrea Frittoli andrea.frittoli at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 15:34:36 UTC 2018

On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 3:06 PM Paul Belanger <pabelanger at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2018 at 11:05:34PM +0900, gmann wrote:
> > Hi Infra Team,
> >
> > I have 1 quick question on zuulv3 jobs and their migration part. From
> > zuulv3 doc [1], it is clear about migrating the job definition and use
> > those among cross repo pipeline etc.
> >
> > But I did not find clear recommendation that whether project's
> > pipeline definition should stay in project-config or we should move
> > that to project side.
> >
> > IMO,
> > 'template' part(which has system level jobs) can stay in
> > project-config. For example below part-

I think there are pros and cons in both cases, but I lean more towards
having everything
in tree.

If everything moves into the project then the configuration of what runs
for a project is more
or less in one place, so it's a bit more readable and projects are in
control.

On the other side adding a template maintained by infra/qa to a number of
projects transforms
into a potentially very large set of changes. But I don't think adding a
new template happens
so often, and it would still be possible for infra/qa to define usage of
that template in project-config
and then for projects to move that in tree over time.

Andrea Frittoli (andreaf)

> https://github.com/openstack-infra/project-config/blob/e2b82623a4ab60261b37a91e311118301927b9b6/zuul.d/projects.yaml#L10507-L10523
> >
> > Other pipeline definition- 'check', 'gate', 'experimental' etc should
> > be move to project repo, mainly this list-
> >
> https://github.com/openstack-infra/project-config/blob/master/zuul.d/projects.yaml#L10524-L11019
> >
> > If we move those past as mentioned above then, we can have a
> > consolidated place to control the project pipeline for
> > 'irrelevant-files', specific branch etc
> >
> > ..1 https://docs.openstack.org/infra/manual/zuulv3.html
> >
> As it works today, pipeline stanza needs to be in a config project[1]
> (project-config) repo. So what you are suggestion will not work. This was
> done
> to allow zuul admins to control which pipelines are setup / configured.

I think gmann referred to the list of jobs defined in each pipeline by a
project
as opposed to the definition of the pipeline itself.