[openstack-dev] [ironic][triploe] support for firmware update

Stig Telfer stig.openstack at telfer.org
Mon Feb 12 23:52:07 UTC 2018

Hi Moshe -

It seems a bit risky to automatically apply firmware updates.  For example, given a node will probably be rebooted for firmware updates to take effect, if other vendors also did this then perhaps the node could reboot unexpectedly in the middle of your update.  In theory.

The approach we’ve taken on handling firmware updates[1] has been to create a hardware manager for verifying firmware values during node cleaning and raising an exception if they do not match.  The consequence is, nodes will drop into maintenance mode for manual inspection / intervention.  We’ve then booted the node into a custom image to perform the update.

Hope this helps,
Stig

[1] https://github.com/stackhpc/stackhpc-ipa-hardware-managers