[openstack-dev] [heat][tacker][murano][RelMgmt] heat-translator deliverable type?

HADDLETON, Robert W (Bob) bob.haddleton at nokia.com
Fri Feb 9 16:38:25 UTC 2018

On 2/9/2018 10:18 AM, Matthew Thode wrote:
> On 18-02-09 10:10:10, Sean McGinnis wrote:
>> Hello Heat team,
>>
>> The release team just recently noticed the heat-translator deliverable is
>> marked as a type of "other" and is following the release-model of
>> "cycle-with-intermediary".
>>
>> It appears this is actually a library though. It's hard to tell, but it is
>> either a client lib or non-client lib. In either case, we need to mark it as
>> such and treat its release according to that type.
>>
>> In order to stabilize requirements changes, we have two separate deadlines,
>> first for non-client libs, then a week later for client libs. Since
>> heat-translator appears to be a dependency used by other projects, it will need
>> to be subject to those release deadlines.
>>
>> Can the team clarify what type of library this is, and change the type going
>> forward to accurately reflect that?
>>
>> Please let the release team know if there are any questions.
>>
> I think tacker and murano may be using it in a non-intended way (those
> are the only projects I could find that's using it).
>
> https://github.com/openstack/tacker/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=translator&type=
> https://github.com/openstack/murano/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=translator&type=
Tacker worked with us on their usage so it's a known scenario.  I wasn't
aware that Murano was using h-t, but if the implementation is similar to
Tacker's it should be fine.

spzala knows more of the history than I do, but heat-translator, like
tosca-parser, was originally a stand-alone client that has evolved into
a library that can be used by other projects.  Both projects are now
used as libraries by Tacker, and possibly others, in addition to having
users of the command-line clients.

When we moved into the release model it was suggested that we use type
"other", but I'm happy to change to whatever the appropriate release
type is.  Both projects are fairly low volume at the moment, so we don't
need a lot of releases.

Thanks

Bob Haddleton