[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] resource providers update 18-06

Chris Dent cdent+os at anticdent.org
Fri Feb 9 15:12:51 UTC 2018

Resource provider 18-06 is here.

# Most Important

RC1 was cut last night, so we shouldn't be merging any new features now,
just bug fixes. Which, of course, means finding and fixing bugs is the
thing to do.

In the gaps where that's not happening, planning for Rocky is a useful
thing to be doing.

The PTG is coming up at the end of this month. If you have topics for
discussion that are not already on the etherpad, add them:

      https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/nova-ptg-rocky

A variety of specs, and discussions related to such things, are in
progress and listed below. If I've forgotten something, let me know, as
usual.

I wrote a thing describing some of my efforts to break placement:

     https://anticdent.org/placement-scale-fun.html

Placement itself was fine, but I was able to break other stuff. If you
have an environment where you are able to do that kind of concrete
experimentation, it will help to make the release better.

# What's Changed

RC1 happened. Some more "sending global request id" changes merged. A
release note was created to describe the behavior change in
AggregateCoreFilter (and friends):

     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/541018/

# Help Wanted

Testing, Testing, Testing.

There are a fair few unstarted bugs related to placement that could do
with some attention. Here's a handy URL: https://goo.gl/TgiPXb

# Specs

* Support traits in Glance
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/541507/4

* Add generation support in aggregate assocation
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/540447/

* Update ProviderTree
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/540111/

* Support aggregate affinity filter/weighers
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/529135/
   (Note that this is not placement aggregates and is not a
   placement-oriented solution but is something many of the same people
   are into.)

* Granular Resource Request Syntax (Rocky)
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/540179/

* Report CPU features to placement
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/497733/

# Main Themes

We've not yet identified the new themes, other than to know that
Nested remains a big deal. Presumably at the PTG we will define and
then narrow the themes.

## Nested Resource Providers

Work continues at

     https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+topic:bp/nested-resource-providers

By which I mean that there's lots of active work and discussion on the
patches on this topic. It's the locus of activity.

# Other

Many of these things are bug fixes or doc tuneups, and thus
potentially relevant for Queens.

* Update references to OSC in old rp specs
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/539038/

* [Placement] Invalid query parameter could lead to HTTP 500
    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/539408/

* [placement] use simple FaultWrapper
    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/533752/

* Ensure resource classes correctly
    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/539738/

* Avoid inventory DELETE API (no conflict detection)
    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/539712/

* Fix nits in allocation canidate limit handling
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/536784/

* WIP: Move resource provider objects
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/540049/

* Do not normalize allocation ratios
    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/532924/

* Sending global request ids from nova to placement
      https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bug/1734625

* Update resources once in update available resources
      https://review.openstack.org/#/c/520024/
      (This ought, when it works, to help address some redunancy
      concerns with nova making too many requests to placement)

* Support aggregate affinity filters/weighers
      https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/aggregate-affinity
      A rocky targeted improvement to affinity handling

* Move placement body samples in docs to own dir
      https://review.openstack.org/#/c/529998/

* Improved functional test coverage for placement
      https://review.openstack.org/#/q/topic:bp/placement-test-enhancement

* Functional tests for traits api
      https://review.openstack.org/#/c/524094/

* annotate loadapp() (for placement wsgi app) as public
      https://review.openstack.org/#/c/526691/

* Remove microversion fallback code from report client
      https://review.openstack.org/#/c/528794/

* WIP: SchedulerReportClient.set_aggregates_for_provider
      https://review.openstack.org/#/c/532995/
      This is for rocky as it depends on changing the api for
      aggregates handling on the placement side to accept and provide
      a generation

* Add functional test for two-cell scheduler behaviors
      https://review.openstack.org/#/c/452006/
      (This is old and maybe out of date, but something we might like to
      resurrect)

* Make API history doc consistent
      https://review.openstack.org/#/c/477478/

* WIP: General policy sample file for placement
      https://review.openstack.org/#/c/524425/

* Support relay RP for allocation candidates
     https://review.openstack.org/#/c/533437/
     Bug fix for sharing with multiple providers

* Convert driver supported capabilities to compute node provider
    traits
    https://review.openstack.org/#/c/538498/

* Check for leaked allocations in post_test_hook
   https://review.openstack.org/#/c/538510/

# End

Hi. Thanks for making it this far. Go find bugs.

--
Chris Dent                      (⊙_⊙')         https://anticdent.org/