[openstack-dev] [QA][ptl] Quality Assurance PTL Candidacy for Rocky

gmann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Fri Feb 2 05:34:33 UTC 2018

 Hi everyone,

I would like to announce my PTL candidacy of the Quality Assurance for
Rocky cycle.

I am glad and lucky to work in OpenStack community and would like to thank
all the contributors who supported me to explore new things and ideas.
You might know me as gmann on IRC. I have joined the OpenStack since 2012
and 100% in upstream development since Ice-house release.
Currently i am contributing in QA, Nova & sometimes other projects too and
a core member in QA projects like Tempest, Patrole etc. Along with that, I
volunteered as mentor in the upstream institute and help to bring new
contributor onboard.

QA program always play a key role in smooth upstream development and its
quality. Also help production clouds for their testing and stability. QA
responsibilities are always challenging and need lot of coordination and
collaboration with each projects team. Till now we have been doing good job
which is not just because of QA team but it's all together a combined
effort from all projects.

Keep having  regular ideas from different contributors to improve QA is
phenomenal and I truly appreciate. Those ideas helped QA program to grow
more in last couple of years. One example is extreme testing of OpenStack
which is in discussion since previous summits/PTG with PoC and will add
strength to QA program. other example is Patrole for RBAC testing which is
really important for cloud security. My concentration as PTL will be to
make good progress in extreme testing or any other new initiatives and make
Patrole more stable and feature-rich so that we can see their tests running
in respective projects gate.

We have plugins framework approach for Tempest/Devstack/Grenade and their
plugins exist across almost all the OpenStack projects, I feel that
collaboration with projects team is the key role of QA team. Even though,
we have been helping and fixing plugins whenever needed but I would like to
improve more in this area. My objective is to make each plugin owners to
use the QA services and interfaces in more better and easy way. I would
like to improve the relationship and coverage of help in every possible way.

Bug Triage and gate stability is the another important area for QA team. We
have been doing good in bug triage since couple of years with target of 0
un-triaged bug. I would like to make sure we continue the focus in both
area in next cycle too.

Along with that let me summarize me the areas I am planning to focus on in
Rocky Cycle.

* Improvement and new Ideas in QA program as overall:
        - Improve the testing coverage for key features.

        - Improve QA process and tracking in more better way for planned
deliverable.

        - New ideas and their progress to convert into a running software.

* Collaboration and Help:
        - Cross community collaboration on tool, idea sharing etc, opnfv,
k8s are best example as of now.

        - Help the other Projects' developments with test
writing/improvement and gate stability

        - Plugin improvement and helping them on daily basis by defining
doable process and goal.

* Bring on more contributor and core reviewers.

Following are my contribution activities:
* http://stackalytics.com/?release=all&metric=marks&user_
id=ghanshyammann&project_type=all
* http://stackalytics.com/?release=all&metric=commits&
user_id=ghanshyammann&project_type=all

Thanks for reading and consideration my candidacy.

-gmann