[openstack-dev] [nova][placement] Freezing placement for extraction

Sylvain Bauza sbauza at redhat.com
Fri Aug 31 14:41:01 UTC 2018

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 6:34 PM, Eric Fried <openstack at fried.cc> wrote:

> Greetings.
>
> The captains of placement extraction have declared readiness to begin
> the process of seeding the new repository (once [1] has finished
> merging). As such, we are freezing development in the affected portions
> of the openstack/nova repository until this process is completed. We're
> relying on our active placement reviewers noticing any patches that
> touch these "affected portions" and, if that reviewer is not a nova
> core, bringing them to the attention of one, so we can put a -2 on it.

Apologies for having missed the large and wide discussions about placement
future in the past weeks. I was off so I just saw the consensus yesterday
evening my time.
Now that disclaimer is done, can I know the reasoning why we call the
freeze as of now and not waiting for either Stein-2 or Stein-3 ?

My main concern is that the reshaper series is still being reviewed for
Nova. Some other changes using Placement (like drivers using nested
Resource Providers and the likes) are also not yet implemented (or even be
uploaded) and I'm a bit afraid of us discovering yet another cross-services
problem (say with having two distinct computes having different versions)
that would make the fix more harder than just fixing directly.

> Once the extraction is complete [2], any such frozen patches should be
> abandoned and reproposed to the openstack/placement repository.
>
> Since there will be an interval during which placement code will exist
> in both repositories, but before $world has cut over to using
> openstack/placement, it is possible that some crucial fix will still
> need to be merged into the openstack/nova side. In this case, the fix
> must be proposed to *both* repositories, and the justification for its
> existence in openstack/nova made clear.

We surely can do such things for small fixes that don't impact a lot of
files. What I'm a bit afraid of is any large change that would get some
merge conflicts. Sure, we can find ways to fix it too, but again, why
shouldn't we just wait for Stein-2 ?

-Sylvain (yet again apologies for the late opinion).

For more details on the technical aspects of the extraction process,