[openstack-dev] [all] Bringing the community together (combine the lists!)

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Aug 30 21:25:37 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-30 12:57:31 -0600 (-0600), Chris Friesen wrote:
[...]
> Do we want to merge usage and development onto one list? That
> could be a busy list for someone who's just asking a simple usage
> question.

A counterargument though... projecting the number of unique posts to
all four lists combined for this year (both based on trending for
the past several years and also simply scaling the count of messages
this year so far based on how many days are left) comes out roughly
equal to the number of posts which were made to the general
openstack mailing list in 2012.

> Alternately, if we are going to merge everything then why not just
> use the "openstack" mailing list since it already exists and there
> are references to it on the web.

This was an option we discussed in the "One Community" forum session
as well. There seemed to be a slight preference for making a new
-disscuss list and retiring the old general one. I see either as an
potential solution here.

> (Or do you want to force people to move to something new to make them
> recognize that something has changed?)

That was one of the arguments made. Also I believe we have a *lot*
of "black hole" subscribers who aren't actually following that list
but whose addresses aren't bouncing new posts we send them for any
of a number of possible reasons.
--
Jeremy Stanley