[openstack-dev] [tripleo] quickstart for humans

Honza Pokorny honza at redhat.com
Thu Aug 30 14:28:21 UTC 2018

Hello!

Over the last few months, it seems that tripleo-quickstart has evolved
into a CI tool.  It's primarily used by computers, and not humans.
tripleo-quickstart is a helpful set of ansible playbooks, and a
collection of feature sets.  However, it's become less useful for
setting up development environments by humans.  For example, devmode.sh
was recently deprecated without a user-friendly replacement. Moreover,
during some informal irc conversations in #oooq, some developers even
mentioned the plan to merge tripleo-quickstart and tripleo-ci.

I think it would be beneficial to create a set of defaults for
tripleo-quickstart that can be used to spin up new environments; a set
of defaults for humans.  This can either be a well-maintained script in
tripleo-quickstart itself, or a brand new project, e.g.
tripleo-quickstart-humans.  The number of settings, knobs, and flags
should be kept to a minimum.

This would accomplish two goals:

1.  It would bring uniformity to the team.  Each environment is
    installed the same way.  When something goes wrong, we can
    eliminate differences in setup when debugging.  This should save a
    lot of time.

2.  Quicker and more reliable environment setup.  If the set of defaults
    is used by many people, it should container fewer bugs because more
    people using something should translate into more bug reports, and
    more bug fixes.

These thoughts are coming from the context of tripleo-ui development.  I
need an environment in order to develop, but I don't necessarily always
care about how it's installed.  I want something that works for most
scenarios.

What do you think?  Does this make sense?  Does something like this
already exist?

Thanks for listening!

Honza