[openstack-dev] OpenStack Summit Forum in Berlin: Topic Selection Process

Jimmy McArthur jimmy at openstack.org
Wed Aug 29 16:51:58 UTC 2018

Hi all,

not a classic conference track with speakers and presentations. OSF
community members (participants in development teams, operators, working
groups, SIGs, and other interested individuals) discuss the topics they
want to cover and get alignment on and we welcome your participation.
The Forum is your opportunity to help shape the development of future
project releases.

For OpenStack
Berlin marks the beginning of Stein’s release cycle, where ideas and
requirements will be gathered. We should come armed with feedback from
August's Rocky release if at all possible. We aim to ensure the broadest
coverage of topics that will allow for multiple parts of the community
getting together to discuss key areas within our community/projects.

For OSF Projects (StarlingX, Zuul, Airship, Kata Containers)
Welcome! Berlin is your first official opportunity to participate in a
Forum. The idea is to gather ideas and requirements for your project’s
upcoming release.  Look to https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Forum for an
idea of how to structure fishbowls and discussions for your project.
The idea is to ensure the broadest coverage of topics, while allowing
for the project community to discuss critical areas of concern.  To make
sure we are presenting the best topics for discussion, we have asked
representatives of each of your projects to help us out in the Forum
selection process.

There are two stages to the brainstorming:

 1. Starting today, set up an etherpad with your team and start
    discussing ideas you'd like to talk about at the Forum and work out
    which ones to submit.

 2. Then, in a couple of weeks, we will open up a more formal web-based
    tool for you to submit abstracts for the most popular sessions that
    came out of your brainstorming.

Make an etherpad and add it to the list at:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Forum/Berlin2018

This is your opportunity to think outside the box and talk with other
projects, groups, and individuals that you might not see during Summit
sessions. Look for interested parties to collaborate with and share your
ideas.

Examples of typical sessions that make for a great Forum:

Strategic, whole-of-community discussions, to think about the big
picture, including beyond just one release cycle and new technologies

e.g. OpenStack One Platform for containers/VMs/Bare Metal (Strategic
session) the entire community congregates to share opinions on how to
make OpenStack achieve its integration engine goal

Cross-project sessions, in a similar vein to what has happened at past
forums, but with increased emphasis on issues that are of relevant to
all areas of the community

e.g. Rolling Upgrades at Scale (Cross-Project session) – the Large
Deployments Team collaborates with Nova, Cinder and Keystone to tackle
issues that come up with rolling upgrades when there’s a large number of
machines.

Project-specific sessions, where community members most interested in a
specific project can discuss their experience with the project over the
last release and provide feedback, collaborate on priorities, and
present or generate 'blue sky' ideas for the next release

e.g. Neutron Pain Points (Project-Specific session) – Co-organized by
neutron developers and users. Neutron developers bring some specific
questions about implementation and usage. Neutron users bring feedback
from the latest release. All community members interested in Neutron
discuss ideas about the future.

Think about what kind of session ideas might end up as:
Project-specific, cross-project or strategic/whole-of-community
discussions. There'll be more slots for the latter two, so do try and
think outside the box!

This part of the process is where we gather broad community consensus -
in theory the second part is just about fitting in as many of the good
ideas into the schedule as we can.

Further details about the forum can be found at:
https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Forum

Thanks all!
Jimmy McArthur, on behalf of the OpenStack Foundation, User Committee &
Technical Committee