[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder][neutron] Cross-cell cold migration

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 14:27:37 UTC 2018

On 8/27/2018 1:53 PM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 8/27/2018 12:11 PM, Miguel Lavalle wrote:
>> Isn't multiple port binding what we need in the case of ports? In my
>> mind, the big motivator for multiple port binding is the ability to
>> change a port's backend
>
> Hmm, yes maybe. Nova's usage of multiple port bindings today is
> restricted to live migration which isn't what we're supporting with the
> initial cross-cell (cold) migration support, but it could be a
> dependency if that's what we need.
>
> What I was wondering is if there is a concept like a port spanning or
> migrating across networks? I'm assuming there isn't, and I'm not even
> sure if that would be required here. But it would mean there is an
> implicit requirement that for cross-cell migration to work, neutron
> networks need to span cells (similarly storage backends would need to
> span cells).

In thinking about this again (sleepless at 3am of course), port bindings
doesn't help us here if we're orchestrating the cross-cell move using
shelve offload, because in that case the port is unbound from the source
host - while the instance is shelved offloaded, it has no host. When we
unshelve in the new cell, we'd update the port binding. So there isn't
really a use in this flow for multiple port bindings on multiple hosts
(assuming we stick with using the shelve/unshelve idea here).

Matt