[openstack-dev] [nova] [placement] extraction (technical) update

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 27 16:35:03 UTC 2018

On 08/27/2018 11:31 AM, Matt Riedemann wrote:
> On 8/24/2018 7:36 AM, Chris Dent wrote:
>>
>> Over the past few days a few of us have been experimenting with
>> extracting placement to its own repo, as has been discussed at
>> length on this list, and in some etherpads:
>>
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/placement-extract-stein
>> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/placement-extraction-file-notes
>>
>> As part of that, I've been doing some exploration to tease out the
>> issues we're going to hit as we do it. None of this is work that
>> will be merged, rather it is stuff to figure out what we need to
>> know to do the eventual merging correctly and efficiently.
>>
>> Please note that doing that is just the near edge of a large
>> collection of changes that will cascade in many ways to many
>> projects, tools, distros, etc. The people doing this are aware of
>> that, and the relative simplicity (and fairly immediate success) of
>> these experiments is not misleading people into thinking "hey, no
>> big deal". It's a big deal.
>>
>> There's a strategy now (described at the end of the first etherpad
>> listed above) for trimming the nova history to create a thing which
>> is placement. From the first run of that Ed created a github repo
>> and I branched that to eventually create:
>>
>> https://github.com/EdLeafe/placement/pull/2
>>
>> In that, all the placement unit and functional tests are now
>> passing, and my placecat [1] integration suite also passes.
>>
>> That work has highlighted some gaps in the process for trimming
>> history which will be refined to create another interim repo. We'll
>> repeat this until the process is smooth, eventually resulting in an
>> openstack/placement.
>
> We talked about the github strategy a bit in the placement meeting today
> [1]. Without being involved in this technical extraction work for the
> past few weeks, I came in with a different perspective on the end-game,
> and it was not aligned with what Chris/Ed thought as far as how we get
> to the official openstack/placement repo.
>
> At a high level, Ed's repo [2] is a fork of nova with large changes on
> top using pull requests to do things like remove the non-placement nova
> files, update import paths (because the import structure changes from
> nova.api.openstack.placement to just placement), and then changes from
> Chris [3] to get tests working. Then the idea was to just use that to
> seed the openstack/placement repo and rather than review the changes
> along the way*, people that care about what changed (like myself) would
> see the tests passing and be happy enough.
>
> However, I disagree with this approach since it bypasses our community
> code review system of using Gerrit and relying on a core team to approve
> changes at the sake of expediency.
>
> What I would like to see are the changes that go into making the seed
> repo and what gets it to passing tests done in gerrit like we do for
> everything else. There are a couple of options on how this is done though:
>
> 1. Seed the openstack/placement repo with the filter_git_history.sh
> [...]

As mentioned, I prefer to do the multiple patches in Gerrit with
non-voting CI jobs approach. I can try and review the patches but they
will be lower priority than reviews on reshaper and a number of
nova-specs patches that need to be thoroughly reviewed before the
inevitable debates in Denver.

-jay