[openstack-dev] [TripleO] podman: varlink interface for nice API calls

Sergii Golovatiuk sgolovat at redhat.com
Mon Aug 27 10:46:33 UTC 2018

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 12:16 PM, Rabi Mishra <ramishra at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 3:25 PM, Sergii Golovatiuk <sgolovat at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 5:32 AM, Rabi Mishra <ramishra at redhat.com> wrote:
>> > On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 7:31 AM, Steve Baker <sbaker at redhat.com> wrote:
>> Steve mentioned kubectl (kubernetes CLI which communicates with
>

> Not sure what he meant. May be I miss something, but not heard of 'kubectl
> standalone', though he might have meant standalone k8s cluster on every node
> as you think.
>

>> kube-api) not kubelet which is only one component of kubernetes. All
>> kubernetes components may be compiled as one binary (hyperkube) which
>> can be used to minimize footprint. Generated ansible for kubelet is
>> not enough as kubelet doesn't have any orchestration logic.
>

> What orchestration logic do we've with TripleO atm? AFAIK we've provide
> roles data for service placement across nodes, right?
> I see standalone kubelet as a first step for scheduling openstack services
> with in k8s cluster in the future (may be).

It's half measure. I don't see any advantages of that move. We should
either adopt whole kubernetes or doesn't use its components at all as
the maintenance cost will be expensive. Using kubelet requires to
resolve networking communication, scale-up/down, sidecar, or inter
services dependencies.

>> > I see good value in evaluating kubelet standalone and leveraging it's
>> > inbuilt grpc interfaces with cri-o (rather than using podman) as a long
>> > term
>> > strategy, unless we just want to provide an alternative to docker
>> > container
>> > runtime with cri-o.
>>
>> I see no value using kubelet without kubernetes IMHO.

Best Regards,
Sergii Golovatiuk