[openstack-dev] [nova][cinder] Disabling nova volume-update (aka swap volume; aka cinder live migration)

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 21:20:21 UTC 2018

On 8/20/2018 10:29 AM, Matthew Booth wrote:
> Secondly, is there any reason why we shouldn't just document then you
> have to delete snapshots before doing a volume migration? Hopefully
> some cinder folks or operators can chime in to let me know how to back
> them up or somehow make them independent before doing this, at which
> point the volume itself should be migratable?

Coincidentally the volume migration API never had API reference
documentation. I have that here now [1]. It clearly states the
preconditions to migrate a volume based on code in the volume API.
However, volume migration is admin-only by default and retype
(essentially like resize) is admin-or-owner so non-admins can do it and
specify to migrate. In general I think it's best to have preconditions
for *any* API documented, so anything needed to perform a retype should
be documented in the API, like that the volume can't have snapshots.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/595379/

Matt