[openstack-dev] [Tripleo] fluentd logging status

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Fri Aug 24 14:37:00 UTC 2018

On 08/24/2018 04:17 AM, Juan Badia Payno wrote:
> Recently, I did a little test regarding fluentd logging on the gates
> master[1], queens[2], pike [3]. I don't like the status of it, I'm still
> working on them, but basically there are quite a lot of misconfigured
> logs and some services that they are not configured at all.
>
> I think we need to put some effort on the logging. The purpose of this
> email is to point out that we need to do a little effort on the task.
>
> First of all, I think we need to enable fluentd on all the scenarios, as
> it is on the tests [1][2][3] commented on the beginning of the email.
> Once everything is ok and some automatic test regarding logging is done
> they can be disabled.
>
> I'd love not to create a new bug for every misconfigured/unconfigured
> service, but if requested to grab more attention on it, I will open it.
>
> The plan I have in mind is something like:
>   * Make an initial picture of what the fluentd/log status is (from pike
> upwards).
>   * Fix all misconfigured services. (designate,...)

For the record, Designate in TripleO is not considered production-ready
at this time.  There are a few other issues that need to be resolved
too.  I'll add this to my todo list though.

>   * Add the non-configured services. (manila,...)
>   * Add an automated check to find a possible unconfigured/misconfigured
> problem.

This would be good.  I copy-pasted the log config from another service
but had no idea whether it was correct (apparently it wasn't :-).