[openstack-dev] [tripleo][nova] nova rx_queue_size tx_queue_size config options breaks booting vm with SR-IOV

Moshe Levi moshele at mellanox.com
Thu Aug 23 11:34:27 UTC 2018

Hi all,

Recent change in tripleo [1] configure nova rx_queue_size tx_queue_size config by default.
It seem that this config option breaks booting vm with SR-IOV. See [2]
The issues is because of this code [3] which configure virtio queue size if the in the interface xml the driver is vhost or None.
In case of SR-IOV the driver is also None and that why we get the error.
A quick fix will be adding driver=vfio to [4]
I just wonder if there are other interface in the libvirt xml which this can have the same issue.

[1] - https://github.com/openstack/tripleo-heat-templates/commit/444fc042dca3f9a85e8f7076ce68114ac45478c7#diff-99a22d37b829681d157f41d35c38e4c5
[2] - http://paste.openstack.org/show/728666/
[3] -  https://review.openstack.org/#/c/595592/
[4] - https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/34956bea4beb8e5ba474b42ba777eb88a5eadd76/nova/virt/libvirt/designer.py#L123