[openstack-dev] [TripleO]Addressing Edge/Multi-site/Multi-cloud deployment use cases (new squad)

Jiri Tomasek jtomasek at redhat.com
Wed Aug 22 13:26:40 UTC 2018

Hi,

thanks for a write up James. I am adding a few notes/ideas inline...

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 10:48 PM James Slagle <james.slagle at gmail.com>
wrote:

> As we start looking at how TripleO will address next generation deployment
> needs such as Edge, multi-site, and multi-cloud, I'd like to kick off a
> discussion around how TripleO can evolve and adapt to meet these new
> challenges.
>
> What are these challenges? I think the OpenStack Edge Whitepaper does a
> good
> job summarizing some of them:
>

> https://www.openstack.org/assets/edge/OpenStack-EdgeWhitepaper-v3-online.pdf
>
> They include:
>
> - management of distributed infrastructure
> - massive scale (thousands instead of hundreds)
> - limited network connectivity
> - isolation of distributed sites
> - orchestration of federated services across multiple sites
>
> We already have a lot of ongoing work that directly or indirectly starts to
> address some of these challenges. That work includes things like
> config-download, split-controlplane, metalsmith integration, validations,
> all-in-one, and standalone.
>
> I laid out some initial ideas in a previous message:
>
> http://lists.openstack.org/pipermail/openstack-dev/2018-July/132398.html
>
> I'll be reviewing some of that here and going into a bit more detail.
>
> These are some of the high level ideas I'd like to see TripleO start to
> address:
>
> - More separation between planning and deploying (likely to be further
> defined
>   in spec discussion). We've had these concepts for a while, but we need
> to do
>   a better job of surfacing them to users as deployments grow in size and
>   complexity.

One of the focus points of ui/cli and workflows squads for Stein is getting
GUI and CLI consolidated so
that both clients operate on deployment plan via Mistral workflows. We are
currently working on identifying
missing CLI commands which would lead to adopting the same workflow as GUI
uses. This will lead to
complete interoperability between the clients and would make a deployment
plan the first-class citizen as
Ben mentioned in discussion linked above.

Existing plan import/export functionality makes the deployment plan easily
portable and replicable as it is
possible to export the plan at any point of time and re-use it (with
ability to still
apply some tweaks for each usage)

When Steven's work [1] introduces plan-types which adds ability to define
multiple starting points for the
deployment plan.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/574753

>   With config-download, we can more easily separate the phases of
> rendering,
>   downloading, validating, and applying the configuration. As we increase
> in
>   scale to managing many deployments, we should take advantage of what
> each of
>   those phases offer.
>
>   The separation also makes the deployment more portable, as we should
>   eliminate any restrictions that force the undercloud to be the control
> node
>   applying the configuration.
>
> - Management of multiple deployments from a single undercloud. This is of
>   course already possible today, but we need better docs and polish and
> more
>   testing to flush out any bugs.
>
> - Plan and template management in git.
>
>   This could be an iterative step towards eliminating Swift in the
> undercloud.
>   Swift seemed like a natural choice at the time because it was an existing
>   OpenStack service.  However, I think git would do a better job at
> tracking
>   history and comparing changes and is much more lightweight than Swift.
> We've
>   been managing the config-download directory as a git repo, and I like
> this
>   direction. For now, we are just putting the whole git repo in Swift, but
>   wonder if it makes sense to consider eliminating Swift entirely. We need
>   consider the scale of managing thousands of plans for separate edge
>   deployments.
>
>   I also think this would be a step towards undercloud simplification.

+1, we need to identify how much this affects the existing API and overall
user experience
for managing deployment plans. Currentl plan management options we support
are:
- create plan from default files (/usr/share/tht...)
- create/update plan from local directory
- create/update plan by providing tarball
- create/update plan from remote git repository

Ian has been working on similar efforts towards performance improvements
[2], It
would be good to take this a step further and evaluate possibility to
eliminate Swift entirely.

[2] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/581153/

-- Jirka