[openstack-dev] [all] [nova] [placement] placement below or beside compute after extraction?

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Tue Aug 21 18:13:16 UTC 2018

On 2018-08-21 17:18:40 +0000 (+0000), Fox, Kevin M wrote:
[...]
> I'm really sure at this point that you can't have a project as
> large as OpenStack without leadership setting a course and
> sometimes making hard choices for the betterment of the whole.
> That doesn't mean a benevolent dictator. But our self govened
> model with elected officials should be a good balance. If they are
> too unreasonable, they don't get reelected. But not leading isn't
> an option either anymore.
[...]

Divining a consensual direction in which to steer the community is
not the same thing as telling people what to do, but is still very
much leadership. But I'd rather stop dancing in generalities and
just talk about concrete examples instead. In this case, separation
of governance between Nova and (as of yet unnamed) placement teams.

If the Nova team is against wholly handing over control of the
placement service to the current placement contributors, then having
the OpenStack Technical Committee tell them to get over it isn't the
way to foster productive future relationships between those two
groups of people. The placement team is already entirely empowered,
should they wish, to fork the placement service out of the nova
repository and then apply to the TC to have that recognized as a
separate team but doing so in no way guarantees the Nova team will
work with them to use that version of placement and deprecate the
one on which they currently rely. For that, there needs to be a
positive working relationship, one we can't simply demand into
being, so it's in their best interests to work things out amicably
and directly instead of asking someone else (the TC) to decide this
for them.
--
Jeremy Stanley