[openstack-dev] [nova][neutron] Proposal to make SR-IOV port attach explicitly fail in nova

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 15:44:45 UTC 2018

None of the in-tree nova virt drivers support attaching SR-IOV ports to
a running instance, you can only create a server with an SR-IOV port. I
have a patch proposed [1] to make this an explicit failure rather than
the user getting an obscure 500 KeyError failure. Supporting this would
be a feature change [2].

However, the out of tree powervm driver apparently supports attaching
SR-IOV ports to running servers, so I'm sending this email to make any
other out of tree virt drivers aware of the change to make it explicitly
fail in case they also support his functionality downstream.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/591898/
[2]
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/sriov-interface-attach-detach

Matt