[openstack-dev] [goal][python3] dealing with new jobs failing on old branches

Doug Hellmann doug at doughellmann.com
Tue Aug 21 14:17:36 UTC 2018

Goal champions,

Most of the jobs in the project-templates do not have branch
specifiers.  That allows us to add a job to a repository and then
not realize that it doesn't work on an old branch. We're finding
some of those with this zuul migration (for example,
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/593012/ and
https://review.openstack.org/#/c/593016/).

To deal with these, we need to remove that job or template from the
repository's settings in the project-config repository, and not include
it in the import patches.

1. First we want to wait for the team to land as many of the unaltered
   import patches as possible, so those jobs stay on the master branch
   and recent stable branches where they work.

2. Then, propose a patch to project-config to remove just the problem jobs
   and templates from the repositories where they are a problem.

3. Then, rebase the patch that removes all of a team's project settings
   on top of the one created in step 2.

4. Finally, modify the import patch(es) on the older stable branches
   where the jobs fail and remove the jobs or templates that cause
   problems.  Set those patches to depend on the patch created in
   step 2, since they cannot land without the project-config change.

Doug