[openstack-dev] [all] [nova] [placement] placement below or beside compute after extraction?

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue Aug 21 12:55:10 UTC 2018

Matt Riedemann wrote:
> [...]
> Regarding microversions I was mostly thinking of the various times I've
> been asked in the placement channel if something warrants a microversion
> or if we can just bug fix it in, like microversion 1.26. I then
> generally feel like I need to be defensive when I say, "yes it's a
> behavior change in the API so it should." That makes me question how
> stringent others would be about upholding interoperability concerns if I
> weren't around. [...]

The issue with that kind of distrust by default is that it's not
sustainable... In a large project you can't have every individual review
everything because they trust noone else.

That is why in OpenStack we instituted a culture of "trust by default,
then escalate to PTL or TC if shit ever hits the fan". And the fact is,
the PTL (at team level) or the TC (between teams) rarely had to
arbitrate conflicts, because there aren't so many conflicts that are
escalated rather than solved by consensus at the lower level.

Restoring "trust by default" between placement and the rest of Nova
seems to be the root of the problem here. In a community, it's generally
done by documenting general expectations and shared understandings, so
that you create a common culture and trust by default people to apply it.

What would you suggest we do to improve that in this specific case?

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)