[openstack-dev] [mistral] No Denver PTG Sessions

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Tue Aug 21 10:15:15 UTC 2018

On 08/21/2018 10:22 AM, Dougal Matthews wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Unfortunately due to some personal conflicts and trouble with travel plans,
> there will be no Mistral cores at the Denver PTG. This means that we have had to
> cancel the Mistral sessions. I recently asked if anyone was planning to attend
> and only got one maybe.
>
> I am considering trying to arrange a "virtual PTG", so we can do some planning
> for Stein. However, I'm not sure how/if that could work. Do you think this would
> be a good idea? Suggestions how to organise one would be very welcome!

We did a few virtual midcycles for ironic, and it ended up quite well. While it
did require some people to stay awake at unusual times, it did allow people
without travel budget to attend.

Initially we used the OpenStack SIP system, but we found Bluejeans to be a bit
easier to use. I think it has a limit of 300 participants, which is more than
enough. Anyone from Red Hat can host it.

We dedicated 1-2 days with 4-5 hours each. I'd recommend against taking up the
whole day - will be too exhausting. The first time we tried splitting the slots
into two per day: APAC friendly and EMEA friendly. Relatively few people showed
up at the former, so the next time we only had one slot.

As with the PTG, having an agenda upfront helps a lot. We did synchronization
and notes through an etherpad - exactly the same was as on the PTG.

Hope that helps,
Dmitry