[openstack-dev] [all] [nova] [placement] placement below or beside compute after extraction?

Ed Leafe ed at leafe.com
Mon Aug 20 23:42:24 UTC 2018

On Aug 20, 2018, at 6:27 PM, Matt Riedemann <mriedemos at gmail.com> wrote:

> 3. The biggest fear is on the people involved in what placement on its own might be, because the current placement team is made of, for the most part, highly opinionated people that spend a lot of time arguing because they have, at times, conflicting design principles which can impede getting anything done. Concessions are made after (1) people weigh in from the "outside" or (2) exhaustion sets in.

While this is certainly true, the experience with Nova is not unusual in that regard. There have always been highly opinionated people with conflicting ideas. Eventually a choice is made; occasionally it is by persuasion, but the exhaustion bit is there too. What we've seen in Nova over the years is that generally those who have different opinions eventually fall by the wayside, leaving behind those who share the opinion of the choice. It becomes self-selecting. There isn't any reason that a similar process will happen among those highly-opinionated placement people.

It was said in the #openstack-tc discussions, but for those on the mailing list, the biggest concern among the Nova core developers is that the consensus among Placement cores will certainly not align with the needs of Nova. I personally think that's ridiculous, and, as one of the very opinionated people involved, a bit insulting. No one wants to see either Nova or Placement to fail.

-- Ed Leafe