[openstack-dev] [PTL][TC] Stein Cycle Goals

Matt Riedemann mriedemos at gmail.com
Sun Aug 19 02:53:10 UTC 2018

On 8/13/2018 11:22 PM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
> Support Pre Upgrade Checks (upgrade-checkers)
> One of the hot topics we've been discussing for some time at Forum and PTG
> events has been making upgrades better. To that end, we want to add tooling for
> each service to provide an "upgrade checker" tool that can check for various
> known issues so we can either give operators some assurance that they are ready
> to upgrade, or to let them know if some step was overlooked that will need to
> be done before attempting the upgrade.
>
> This goal follows the Nova `nova-status upgrade check` command precendent to
> make it a consistent capability for each service. The checks should look for
> things like missing or changed configuration options, incompatible object
> states, or other conditions that could lead to failures upgrading that project.
>
> More details can be found in the goal:
>
> https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/stein/upgrade-checkers.html
>
> Thanks to Matt Riedemann for championing this goal.

I've been traveling for the past week but plan on writing up some more
thorough developer documentation for this including examples of the
checks added to nova since they don't all follow the same pattern. I
also plan on starting an etherpad where I will try and go through some
of the upgrade release notes for the core projects looking for
candidates so those projects can see what to look for. I know that's
late for Rocky but should give some ideas for Stein. Feel free to reach
out to me with any questions though.

Matt