[openstack-dev] [all] [nova] [placement] placement below or beside compute after extraction?

Eric Fried openstack at fried.cc
Sat Aug 18 22:22:09 UTC 2018

> So my hope is that (in no particular order) Jay Pipes, Eric Fried,
> Takashi Natsume, Tetsuro Nakamura, Matt Riedemann, Andrey Volkov,
> Alex Xu, Balazs Gibizer, Ed Leafe, and any other contributor to
> placement whom I'm forgetting [1] would express their preference on
> what they'd like to see happen.

Extract now, as a fully-independent project, under governance right out
of the gate.

A year ago we might have developed a feature where one patch would
straddle placement and nova. Six months ago we were developing features
where those patches were separate but in the same series. Today that's
becoming less and less the case: nrp, sharing providers, consumer
generations, and other things mentioned have had their placement side
completed and their nova side - if started at all - done completely
independently. The reshaper series is an exception - but looking back on
its development, Depends-On would have worked just as well.

Agree with the notion that nova needs to catch up with placement
features, and would therefore actually *benefit* from a placement
"feature freeze".

Agree the nova project is overloaded and would benefit from having
broader core reviewer coverage over placement code.  The list Chris
gives above includes more than one non-nova core who should be made
placement cores as soon as that's a thing.

The fact that other projects are in various stages of adopting/using
placement in various capacities is a great motive to extract. But IMO
the above would be sufficient reason without that.

Plus other things that other people have said.

Do it. Do it completely. Do it now.

-efried
.