[openstack-dev] [all] [nova] [placement] placement below or beside compute after extraction?

Tom Barron tpb at dyncloud.net
Fri Aug 17 19:21:17 UTC 2018

On 17/08/18 14:09 -0500, Jay S Bryant wrote:

>On 8/17/2018 1:34 PM, Sean McGinnis wrote:
>>>Has there been a discussion on record of how use of placement by cinder
>>>would affect "standalone" cinder (or manila) initiatives where there is a
>>>desire to be able to run cinder by itself (with no-auth) or just with
>>>keystone (where OpenStack style multi-tenancy is desired)?
>>>
>>>Tom Barron (tbarron)
>>>
>>A little bit. That would be one of the pieces that needs to be done if we were
>>to adopt it.
>>
>>Just high level brainstorming, but I think we would need something like we have
>>now with using tooz where if it is configured for it, it will use etcd for
>>distributed locking. And for single node installs it just defaults to file
>>locks.
>>
>Sean and Tom,
>
>That brief discussion was in Vancouver:
>https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/YVR-cinder-placement

Thanks, Jay.

>But as Sean indicated I think the long story short was that we would
>make it so that we could use the placement service if it was available
>but would leave the existing functionality in the case it wasn't
>there.

I think that even standalone if I'm running a scheduler (i.e., not
doing emberlib version of standalone) then I'm likely to want to run
them active-active on multiple nodes and will need a solution for the
current races.  So even standalone we face the question of do we use
placement to solve that issue or do we introduce some coordination
among the schedulers themselves to solve it.

-- Tom Barron (tbarron)