[openstack-dev] [all] [nova] [placement] placement below or beside compute after extraction?

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Fri Aug 17 16:09:37 UTC 2018

On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 04:51:10PM +0100, Chris Dent wrote:

> [snip]
>
> One of the questions that has come up on the etherpad is about how
> placement should be positioned, as a project, after the extraction.
> The options are:
>
> * A repo within the compute project
> * Its own project, either:
>   * working towards being official and governed
>   * official and governed from the start
>
> [snip]
>
> The outcome I'd like to see happen is the one that makes sure
> placement becomes useful to the most people and is worked on by the
> most people, as quickly as possible. If how it is arranged as a
> project will impact that, now is a good time to figure that out.
>
> If you have thoughts about this, please share them in response.

I do think this is important if we want placement to get wider adoption.

The subject of using placement in Cinder has come up, and since then I've had a
few conversations with people in and outside of that team. I really think until
placement is its own project outside of the nova team, there will be resistance
from some to adopt it.

This reluctance on having it part of Nova may be real or just perceived, but
with it within Nova it will likely be an uphill battle for some time convincing
other projects that it is a nicely separated common service that they can use.

Sean