[openstack-dev] [all] Personal tool patterns in .gitignore cookiecutter

Jeremy Stanley fungi at yuggoth.org
Thu Aug 16 18:24:22 UTC 2018

contributors in various projects, I've submitted a change[*] for the
openstack-dev/cookiecutter .gitignore template inserting a comment
which recommends against including patterns related to personal
choices of tooling (arbitrary editors, IDEs, operating systems...).
It includes one suggestion for a popular alternative (creating a
personal excludesfile specific to the tools you use), but there are
of course multiple ways it can be solved.

This is not an attempt to set policy, but merely provides a
recommended default for new repositories in hopes that projects can
over time reduce some of the noise related to unwanted .gitignore
additions. If it merges, projects who disagree with this default can
of course modify or remove the comment at the top of the file as
they see fit when bootstrapping content for a new repository.
Projects with existing repositories on which they'd like to apply
this can also easily copy the comment text or port the patch.

If there seems to be some consensus that this change is appreciated,
I'll remove the WIP flag and propose similar changes to our other
cookiecutters for consistency.

[*] https://review.openstack.org/592520
--
Jeremy Stanley