[openstack-dev] [TripleO] podman: varlink interface for nice API calls

Cédric Jeanneret cjeanner at redhat.com
Wed Aug 15 09:32:10 UTC 2018

Dear Community,

As you may know, a move toward Podman as replacement of Docker is starting.

One of the issues with podman is the lack of daemon, precisely the lack
of a socket allowing to send commands and get a "computer formatted
output" (like JSON or YAML or...).

In order to work that out, Podman has added support for varlink¹, using
the "socket activation" feature in Systemd.

On my side, I would like to push forward the integration of varlink in
TripleO deployed containers, especially since it will allow the following:
# proper interface with Paunch (via python link)

# a way to manage containers from within specific containers (think
"healthcheck", "monitoring") by mounting the socket as a shared volume

# a way to get container statistics (think "metrics")

# a way, if needed, to get an ansible module being able to talk to
podman (JSON is always better than plain text)

# a way to secure the accesses to Podman management (we have to define
how varlink talks to Podman, maybe providing dedicated socket with
dedicated rights so that we can have dedicated users for specific tasks)

That said, I have some questions:
° Does any of you have some experience with varlink and podman interface?
° What do you think about that integration wish?
° Does any of you have concern with this possible addition?

Thank you for your feedback and ideas.

Have a great day (or evening, or whatever suits the time you're reading
this ;))!

C.

¹ https://www.projectatomic.io/blog/2018/05/podman-varlink/

--