[openstack-dev] [ironic] ironic-staging-drivers: what to do?

Ruby Loo opensrloo at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 20:38:48 UTC 2018

Hi Julia,

Thanks for bringing this up.

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018, 2:41 PM Julia Kreger, <juliaashleykreger at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Greetings fellow ironicans!
>
> As many of you might know an openstack/ironic-staging-drivers[1]
> repository exists. What most might not know is that it was
> intentionally created outside of ironic's governance[2].
>
> At the time it was created ironic was moving towards removing drivers
> that did not meet our third-party CI requirement[3] to be in-tree. The
> repository was an attempt to give a home to what some might find
> useful or where third party CI is impractical or cost-prohibitive and
> thus could not be officially part of Ironic the service. There was
> hope that drivers could land in ironic-staging-drivers and possibly
> graduate to being moved in-tree with third-party CI. As our community
> has evolved we've not stopped and revisited the questions.
>
> With our most recent release over, I believe we need to ask ourselves
> if we should consider moving ironic-staging-drivers into our
> governance.
>
> Over the last couple of releases several contributors have found
> themselves trying to seek out two available reviewers to merge even
> trivial fixes[4]. Due to the team being so small this was no easy
> task. As a result, I'm wondering why not move the repository into
> governance, grant ironic-core review privileges upon the repository,
> and maintain the purpose and meaning of the repository. This would
> also result in the repository's release becoming managed via the
> release management process which is a plus.

If I understand, it seems like the main issue is lack of reviewers. As
mentioned by others, I would not be opposed to adding existing ironic cores
to this repo.
Whether folks review is a different question.

We could then propose an actual graduation process and help alleviate
> some of the issues where driver code is iterated upon for long periods
> of time before landing. At the same time I can see at least one issue
> which is if we were to do that, then we would also need to manage
> removal through the same path.

I am not sure I see any advantages to this. The ansible driver was in the
staging repo for awhile before it went into ironic so we know that is
do-able :)

> I know there are concerns over responsibility in terms of code
> ownership and quality, but I feel like we already hit such issues[5],
> like those encountered when Dmitry removed classic drivers[6] from the
> repository and also encountered issues just prior to the latest
> release[7][8].

I don't mind making changes or reviewing changes to this repo, especially
if there are unit tests. However, that is the most responsibility I am
comfortable having with this repo.

Right now, I don't see any good reasons for putting it under the ironic
governance. I am, of course, open to being convinced otherwise!

--ruby