[openstack-dev] [barbican][oslo][release] FFE request for castellan

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Tue Aug 14 18:56:34 UTC 2018

> On 08/10/2018 10:15 AM, Ade Lee wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'd like to request a feature freeze exception to get the following
> > change in for castellan.
> >
> > https://review.openstack.org/#/c/575800/
> >
> > This extends the functionality of the vault backend to provide
> > previously uninmplemented functionality, so it should not break anyone.
> >
> > The castellan vault plugin is used behind barbican in the barbican-
> > vault plugin.  We'd like to get this change into Rocky so that we can
> > release Barbican with complete functionality on this backend (along
> > with a complete set of passing functional tests).
>
> This does seem fairly low risk since it's just implementing a function that
> previously raised a NotImplemented exception.  However, with it being so
> late in the cycle I think we need the release team's input on whether this
> is possible.  Most of the release FFE's I've seen have been for critical
> bugs, not actual new features.  I've added that tag to this thread so
> hopefully they can weigh in.

As far as releases go, this should be fine. If this doesn't affect any other
projects and would just be a late merging feature, as long as the castellan
team has considered the risk of adding code so late and is comfortable with
that, this is OK.

Castellan follows the cycle-with-intermediary release model, so the final Rocky
release just needs to be done by next Thursday. I do see the stable/rocky
branch has already been created for this repo, so it would need to merge to
master first (technically stein), then get cherry-picked to stable/rocky.