[openstack-dev] [tripleo][Edge][FEMDC] Edge clouds and controlplane updates

Bogdan Dobrelya bdobreli at redhat.com
Tue Aug 14 13:19:31 UTC 2018

On 8/13/18 9:47 PM, Giulio Fidente wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to get some feedback regarding the remaining
> work for the split controlplane spec implementation [1]
>
> Specifically, while for some services like nova-compute it is not
> necessary to update the controlplane nodes after an edge cloud is
> deployed, for other services, like cinder (or glance, probably
> others), it is necessary to do an update of the config files on the
> controlplane when a new edge cloud is deployed.
>
> In fact for services like cinder or glance, which are hosted in the
> controlplane, we need to pull data from the edge clouds (for example
> the newly deployed ceph cluster keyrings and fsid) to configure cinder
> (or glance) with a new backend.
>
> It looks like this demands for some architectural changes to solve the > following two:
>
> - how do we trigger/drive updates of the controlplane nodes after the
> edge cloud is deployed?

Note, there is also a strict(?) requirement of local management
capabilities for edge clouds temporary disconnected off the central
controlplane. That complicates the updates triggering even more. We'll
need at least a notification-and-triggering system to perform required
state synchronizations, including conflicts resolving. If that's the
case, the architecture changes for TripleO deployment framework are
inevitable AFAICT.

--
Best regards,
Bogdan Dobrelya,