[openstack-dev] [PTL][TC] Stein Cycle Goals

Sean McGinnis sean.mcginnis at gmx.com
Mon Aug 13 15:22:48 UTC 2018

We now have two cycle goals accepted for the Stein cycle. I think both are very
beneficial goals to work towards, so personally I am very happy with where we
landed on this.

The two goals, with links to their full descriptions and nitty gritty details,
can be found here:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/stein/index.html

Goals
=====
Here are some high level details on the goals.

Run under Python 3 by default (python3-first)
In Pike we had a goal for all projects to support Python 3.5. As a continuation
of that effort, and in preparation for the EOL of Python 2, we now want to look
at all of the ancillary things around projects and make sure that we are using
Python 3 everywhere except those jobs explicitly intended for testing Python 2
support.

This means all docs, linters, and other tools and utility jobs we use should be
run using Python 3.

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/stein/python3-first.html

Thanks to Doug Hellmann, Nguyễn Trí Hải, Ma Lei, and Huang Zhiping for
championing this goal.

Support Pre Upgrade Checks (upgrade-checkers)
One of the hot topics we've been discussing for some time at Forum and PTG
events has been making upgrades better. To that end, we want to add tooling for
each service to provide an "upgrade checker" tool that can check for various
known issues so we can either give operators some assurance that they are ready
to upgrade, or to let them know if some step was overlooked that will need to
be done before attempting the upgrade.

This goal follows the Nova `nova-status upgrade check` command precendent to
make it a consistent capability for each service. The checks should look for
things like missing or changed configuration options, incompatible object
states, or other conditions that could lead to failures upgrading that project.

More details can be found in the goal:

https://governance.openstack.org/tc/goals/stein/upgrade-checkers.html

Thanks to Matt Riedemann for championing this goal.

Schedule
========
We hope to have all projects complete this goal by the week of March 4, 2019:

https://releases.openstack.org/stein/schedule.html

This is the same week as the Stein-3 milestone, as well as Feature Freeze and
client lib freeze.

Future Goals
#openstack-tc channel at any point.

Thanks!