[openstack-dev] [releases][rocky][tempest-plugins][ptl] Reminder to tag the Tempest plugins for Rocky release

Ghanshyam Mann gmann at ghanshyammann.com
Mon Aug 13 14:12:51 UTC 2018

 ---- On Mon, 13 Aug 2018 23:01:33 +0900 Doug Hellmann <doug at doughellmann.com> wrote ----
 > Excerpts from Dmitry Tantsur's message of 2018-08-13 15:51:56 +0200:
 > > On 08/13/2018 03:46 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
 > > > Excerpts from Dmitry Tantsur's message of 2018-08-13 15:35:23 +0200:

 > > > You are correct that we do not want to branch, because we want the
 > > > same tests running against all branches of services in our CI system
 > > > to help us avoid (or at least recognize) API-breaking changes across
 > > > release boundaries.
 > >
 > > Okay, thank you for clarification. I stand corrected and apologize if my
 > > frustration was expressed too loudly or harshly :)
 >
 > Not at all. This is new territory, and we made a decision somewhat
 > quickly, so I am not surprised that we need to do a little more work to
 > communicate the results.
 >

 > > > We *do* need to tag so that people consuming the plugins to certify
 > > > their clouds know which version of the plugin works with the version
 > > > of the software they are installing. Newer versions of plugins may
 > > > rely on features or changes in newer versions of tempest, or other
 > > > dependencies, that are not available in an environment that is
 > > > running an older cloud.
 > >
 > > ++
 > >

 > > > We will apply those tags in the series-specific deliverable files in
 > > > openstack/releases so that the version numbers appear together on
 > > > releases.openstack.org on the relevant release page so that users
 > > > looking for the "rocky" version of a plugin can find it easily.
 > >
 > > Okay, this makes sense now.
 >
 > Good.
 >
 > Now, we just need someone to figure out where to write all of that down
 > so we don't have to have the same conversation next cycle. :-)

+1, this is very imp. I was discussing the same with amotoki today on QA channel. I have added a TODO for me to write the 1. "How Plugins should cover the stable branch testing with branchless repo" now i can add 2nd TODO also 2. "Release model & tagging clarification of Tempest  Plugins". I do not know the best common place to add those doc but as start i can write those in Tempest doc and later we can refer/move the same on Plugins side too.

I have added this TODO on qa stein ptg etherpad also for reminder/feedback- https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/qa-stein-ptg

-gmann