[openstack-dev] [openstack-ansible][kolla-ansible][tripleo] ansible roles: where they live and what do they do

Mark Goddard mark at stackhpc.com
Fri Aug 10 10:26:50 UTC 2018

A couple of changes [1][2] that I proposed to kolla ansible recently as a
PoC could be related here. Kolla ansible is full of almost identical roles
for each service, with a lot of duplicated 'code' (YAML). The idea was to
try to factor some of that out into shared roles. This results in less code
and a more data-driven approach, which is inherently more configurable (for
better or worse). The two changes are for configuration and
user/service/endpoint registration. The same could easily be done with DB
management and various other tasks. These roles are quite specific to kolla
ansible, since they are tied to the configuration layout and the use of a
kolla_toolbox container for executing keystone/DB ansible modules.

[1] https://review.openstack.org/587591
[2] https://review.openstack.org/587590

Mark