[openstack-dev] Paste unmaintained

Thomas Goirand zigo at debian.org
Wed Aug 8 07:40:26 UTC 2018

On 08/07/2018 05:17 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
> Excerpts from Thomas Goirand's message of 2018-08-07 16:57:59 +0200:
>> On 08/02/2018 04:27 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>>
>>> The last I heard, a few years ago Ian moved away from Python to
>>> JavaScript as part of his work at Mozilla. The support around
>>> paste.deploy has been sporadic since then, and was one of the reasons
>>> we discussed a goal of dropping paste.ini as a configuration file.
>>
>> Doug,
>>
>> That's nice to have direct dependency, but this doesn't cover
>> everything. If using uwsgi, if you want any kind of logging from the
>> wsgi application, you need to use pastescript, which itself runtimes
>> depends on paste. So, anything which potentially has an API also depends
>> indirectly on Paste.
>
> I'm not sure why that would be the case. Surely *any* middleware could
> set up logging?
>
> Doug

Doug,

If you don't configure uwsgi to do any special logging, then then only
thing you'll see in the log file is client requests, without any kind of
logging from the wsgi application. To have proper logging, one needs to
add, in the uwsgi config file:

paste-logger = true

If you do that, then you need the python3-pastescript installed, which
itself depends on the python3-paste package.

Really, I don't see how an operator could run without the paste-logger
option activated. Without it, you see nothing in the logs.

I hope this helps,
Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)