[openstack-dev] The state of the ironic universe - August 6th, 2018

Julia Kreger juliaashleykreger at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 17:53:03 UTC 2018

News!
=====
In the past month we released ironic 11.0 and now this week we expect
to release ironic 11.1.

With 11.1, ironic has:

* The ``deploy_steps`` framework in order to give better control over
what consists of a deployment.
* BIOS settings management interfaces for the ``ilo`` and ``irmc``
hardware types.
* Ramdisk deploy interface has merged. We await your bug reports!
* Conductors can now be grouped into specific failure domains with
specific nodes assigned to those failure domains. This allows for an
operator to configure a conductor in data center A to manage only the
hardware in data center A, and not data center B.
* Capability has been added to the API to allow driver interface
values to be reset to the conductor default values when the driver
name is being changed.
* Support for partition images with ppc64le hardware has merged.
Previously operators could only use whole disk images on that
architecture.
* Out-of-band RAID configuration is now available with the ``irmc``
hardware type.
* Several bug fixes related to cleaning, PXE, and UEFI booting.

In slightly depressing news the ``xclarity`` hardware type has been
deprecated. This is due to the fact the third-party CI for the
hardware type has not yet been established. The team working on the
hardware type is continuing to work on getting CI up and running, and
we expect to rescind the deprecation in the next release of ironic.

Stein Planning
--------------

Our Stein planning etherpad[0] has had some activity and we have
started to started to place procedural -2s on major changes which will
impact the Rocky release. Expect these to be removed once we've
released Ironic 11.1.

Recent New Specifications
=========================

* Support for SmartNICs[1]

* Rework inspector boot mangement[2]

Specifications starting to see activity
=======================================

* Make IPA to ironic API communication optional[3]

* Cleanhold state to enable cleaning steps collection [4]

Recently merged specifications

* Owner information storage[5]

* Direct Deploy with local HTTP server[6]

[0]: https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/ironic-stein-ptg

[1]: https://review.openstack.org/582767

[2]: https://review.openstack.org/589230

[3]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/212206